Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Strawberry Froyo

Before missing out on all the great ripe fruit of the summer, I thought my next flavor should be strawberry frozen yogurt..aka froyo!
There are tons of farmers market’s out here and they appear to specialize in strawberries. 

There seems to be at least 5 separate strawberry vendors each week at the market.
My mother actually mentioned that she wanted to send me this  ice cream maker in time, so that I could take advantage of the delicious juicy strawberries we have out here in CA.
I didn’t have one crisis while making this delightfully refreshing treat!
I found two recipes I liked for strawberry froyo, and decided to take a bit from each recipe.
One recipe listed vodka as an ingredient..
I was a bit perplexed but I thought what the heck! I actually have a bottle of vodka in the freezer..therefore it is this froyo’s lucky day!

Ingredients:
16 ounces strawberries, rinsed, stemmed, and chopped
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vodka (optional)- I use tablespoons - : )  ..also optional! ; )
3/4 cup whole milk- I only had my fat free milk so I used that instead
1/3 cup granulated sugar
4 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
2 teaspoon pure vanilla

Directions:
1. Slice strawberries into small pieces. Toss in a bowl with sugar and vodka (if using) until the sugar begins to dissolve. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 2 hrs, stirring occasionally.
2. In mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the milk and  1/3 c. granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes on low speed.
3. Stir in the yogurt, berry purée (I didn’t mash or puree because I don’t have a puree machine..so I just put the entire bowl of  strawberry mixture in) and vanilla extract.
4. Turn the machine on; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. The frozen yogurt will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the frozen yogurt to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.


No comments: