Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cranberry Cake

Hello! Here is a quick entry before I take off for the weekend!

This is made basically the same way as my very first entry: Green Apple Cake.

My mother writes:

All I did was use the Green Apple Cake recipe and substitute cranberries - I also had one stray apple, so I chopped that up to go into it too.

The recipe calls for 3 cups of chopped apples, so I ended up with 1 cup of apple, then I took 1 cup of cranberries and chopped them in the food processor, but I don't think that was necessary and probably wouldn't do it again - then I added another cup or so of cranberries - I think when I measured the cranberries out of the little bag they came in, I ended up with about 20 cranberries left over, so I just threw them in.  And then I added about a cup of chopped walnuts.

When the cake was done, I took about 1/4 cup of rum, 1/4 cup of cranberry juice and 1/4 cup of orange juice and mixed them and poured it over the cake while the cake was still warm and still in the tube pan.  I thought it made the cake a little soggy, but everybody seemed to like it.  Maybe next time I would use less juice, but keep the rum.  And I might turn the cake out and pour it over the bottom, so the top would stay crusty.

**I agree with my mom, this cake was super rummy, and a bit soggy..but if you are looking for a cake with a kick, by all means, add this amount of rum juice to top it off!* Otherwise it is delicious without!!**


But it was good anyway!  My mother had a recipe for cranberry cake that she made every Christmas that was much more complicated - it called for grated orange rind, chopped dates - both time consuming activities - I thought this turned out just as good, with less work!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup corn oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix Dry ingredients together. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, add sugar, oil, and vanilla. Mix well. Add dry ingredients until blended.
Batter will be pretty thick at this point.    
Fold in cranberries, apple, & walnuts. 
Pour into well greased and floured tube pan. Bake for 45- 60 minutes. Allow to cool in pan.

That's it! Enjoy your weekend! XO







No comments: