Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Green Apple Cake!- It's healthy if the word green is in the name right?


What a better way to start my hobby/experimental baking blog then with a family recipe. This recipe is one of my grandmothers!
This is honestly, one of the most moist and scrumptious cakes I have ever had; and surprisingly is super quick and easy to make too.
Per my mother "greening's" make the best pies and cakes because they are firm, crisp and nicely tart. MacIntosh apples are the next best choice. But do not worry, if your local market does not carry either, just pick a bundle of green apples that look good to you! 
I have baked this numerous times-I not only like to bake it to have as a breakfast cake, but it is a great cake to make as a gift for someone, such as a housewarming gift, or as a festive dessert dish, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! 

Ingredients:
3 cups finely chopped raw apples- about 4-5 medium
(no peeling of apples necessary for this cake!)
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup corn oil
1 tsp vanilla (i use a tablespoon!)
1 cup chopped walnuts
..and my fav secret ingredient as my add in- which I would highly recommend to my dear mom mom if she were here today is-Cinnamon!

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare apples-cut in quarters, core, but do not peel. Chop like you would an onion, or cut in pieces and run briefly in the food processor, or nut chopper if you have one.
They should be fine. but NOT mashed. Set aside.

Mix Dry ingredients together. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, add sugar, oil, and vanilla. Mix well. Add dry ingredients until blended. Add cinnamon as you like. I call this my "Julia Child style"  or my "whoopsies" .
Batter will be pretty thick at this point. Fold in apples and walnuts. 
Pour into well greased and floured tube pan. Bake for 45- 60 minutes. Allow to cool in pan.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

So my work has this rule where you have to do a morning tea shout when it’s your B-day! I know I know Kiwis are funny and I have questioned why you have to bake when it’s your B-day, but hey those are the rules and I can’t complain too much because I have indulged in some great treats as a result of this tradition. Just to clarify to my fellow Americanos (because you did ask Marge), kiwis have morning tea (we usually have ours at 10am) and it is where we sit together in a room (called the tea room) have a cup of tea or coffee, eat a snack, chat about life, read the paper, etc...

Anyway, I decided to give this green apple cake a go because you said it’s a good one for breakfast and hey what better place to start than at the beginning of your blog. And.........I am very glad that I did too because the cake was a huge success, great recipe Marge. You Edgerton women certainly have some good recipes up your sleeve. It was soooo yummy, moist, and best of all easy to make. I decided to make it a bit more festive and also used Marge’s vanilla icing recipe to make a light glaze for the cake and then arranged freshly cut apples on top. The cake itself is pretty sweet and certainly doesn’t need any additional toppings or sugar, which is why I opted for more of a light glaze than full on frosting and added the cut up green apples for some tart. But this is way it looked a bit more birthday appropriate.......Ok fine the other reason some decoration was needed is because I didn’t have a tube pan, so I baked mine in a regular cake pan and ended up with a little sink hole in the middle. The middle of the cake was REAL moist, but everyone seemed to like it this way and I decided that this would be better then overcooking the sides. Maybe I will buy myself a tube pan for my birthday to avoid this issue in the future.

Regardless of the minor sink hole, the feedback I received for this cake was great and all were impressed. In fact, thanks to the German Coffee Cake Recipe that Ms. Edge put in our cookbooks (which by the way doesn’t require coffee in the recipe) I have now impressed the office twice with my baking. I consider this a relatively big feat as here in kiwi land most of the women I work with make hearty homemade meals and sweets daily and often give me flack for eating my salads and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at lunch. So thanks Marge for a great recipe and a successful birthday morning tea shout.

M.E. said...

gen this touched my heart! i can also hear your voice and best of all contagious laugh as i read about your baking experience. actually the first time i baked this cake..in a tube pan..i had the same issue..the middle would not cook..but i too went with it...i mean if i can sit there, save the last drop (or 5) of the batter and eat it by the spoonfuls..im sure it is safe to eat half baked! ; ) also thanks for taking the time to explain what a "tea shout" is. how sad we americanos dont take the time to get to know each other and take a deep breathe at the office. instead its all about .."i have a conference call at this time" a meeting this time" blah blah blah. luckily though i work in a small work environment, and are all really close too. i love you and cant wait to hear more baking stories!