Monday, December 13, 2010

National Cupcake Day 12/15: Gingerbread Cupcakes

Since national cupcake day is smack dab in the middle of the holidays..what a better flavor cupcake to have than gingerbread?
This is a classic recipe gone cupcake!
I used my great grandmother’s gingerbread recipe to make these cupcakes.
The cupcakes turned out just fine..however the gingerbread did not taste how I made it the last time for a dinner party..which was exquisite!
Maybe this recipe is not meant to be doubled (which I did in order to make 24 cupcakes) or perhaps I tampered with it a bit!
Bad Marge! Bad! The recipe requires 2 cups flour..but since I doubled the recipe, I thought I’d experiment by incorporating 3 cups regular flour, 1 cup cake flour.
I believe the cake flour had a lot to do with the bread tasting a bit different…and a bit dense.
Other than the taste being a bit off than I remembered..they were great!
There are tons of gingerbread cupcake recipes out there..but for this special occasion I wanted to use a family recipe!
I absolutely recommend baking this gingerbread for the holidays. (don’t steer away from the recipe like I did for cupcakes) Use the exact amount of ingredients as directed!
My Aunt Kathleen would make this cake, cut it while it was still hot, split the piece and butter it. Yum!
I like my mother's description of her grandmothers gingerbread: "It's a cozy dessert!"
This bread is also yummy with whipped cream, a lemon sauce, or ice cream; also another great breakfast substitute!
Ingredients:
1 Tbl butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses (Grandma's unsulphured)
2 eggs
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup boiling water with 1 tsp baking soda dissolved in it
Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together at once except the water. Make sure the baking soda has dissolved in the water and add. Mix well. Pour into 9x13 greased and floured pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Serve immediately or let cool.
For the butter glaze icing I used for the cupcakes visit this Martha Stewart link!

1 comment:

Kimmie said...

I see where you were going with the cake flour thing...but cake flour has a little bit of cornstarch in it...so if you subbed even a cup it would change things a bit...cornstarch is a thickener, so it would make the batter dense...you are coming home for the holidays right? you can come over and we can bake together all day and night!!!