Don’t let the whole wheat flour, fat-free yogurt, and egg substitute trick you.
This bread is moist, dense, and sweet enough to feel like a real indulgence. And don’t we all need that?
I am a nut lover so I did miss the crunch of walnuts as I bit into the bread; but if you are not a nut lover this is a perfect treat for you!
Marbled-Chocolate Banana Bread
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
3 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 3)
1/2 cup egg substitute
1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl whisk the flours, baking soda, salt and nutmeg until blended.
2. Place the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on HIGH 1 minute or until almost melted, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly.
3. Place the sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute.) Add banana and egg substitute, and yogurt, beating until blended. Add the flour mixture with a wooden spoon, stirring just until blended.
4. Add 1 cup batter to chocolate, stirring until well combined. Spoon chocolate batter alternately with plain batter into an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Swirl batters together using a knife.
5. Bake 40 minutes to an 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Makes 1 loaf, 16 slices.
And because this is a “light” version of banana bread, here's the nutritional info:
Per 1 slice - Calories 185; Fat 5.4g; Protein 3.4g; Cholesterol 8.2mg; Carbohydrate 32g
Recipe from Enlightened Chocolate by Camilla Saulsbury