Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pink Velvet Cupcakes

Happy Valentines Day!

For this holiday I decided to bake pink velvet cupcakes for all the men in my life.
I originally was going to use my friend Sylvia’s recipe (def. check out her site here- amazing!)

But when I arrived home from the store I was missing white vinegar! If you have ever been or live in the LA area..you would know that attempting to trek to the nearest market at 6:30 in the evening is not the easiest of ventures. What would normally be a 10 min trip turns into a 45 min trip! –(No thank you!)
So I had to get creative and work with what I had. I found another pink velvet recipe from a taste of home. I don’t think this is your traditional pink/red velvet recipe..but hey, it is titled "pink velvet"...so that is what I went with! ; )
Earlier in the week I emailed Sylvia to see if the use of red food coloring (lightly added) could be used; rather than purchasing pink gel paste as required in her recipe.
She states that:  "originally I tried just going easy on the red food coloring and it didn't have the same bright pink effect.  The batter without the food coloring is somewhat of a muddy color so I think if you want a true pink color; it's safer to get the pink gel."
Whether you use Sylvia’s recipe or the recipe below, I recommend purchasing the pink gel as well. There is no way you can get such an electric shade of pink, by simply just using a few drops of red dye.
Since I have a lot of trouble with cream cheese frosting, I decided to stick with my favorite: Vanilla Buttercream! Unfortunately I over beat the butter and the frosting did not come out as stiff and thick-hence the pictures of the icing looking like a blob of marshmallow! I filled each cupcake with the buttercream as well!
Minus my lack of decorating skills the color is fun and the taste is a delight!
Enjoy!

 Ingredients:
makes apprx 24 cupcakes I doubled to make 48!
 1 cup butter, softened
1-1/4 cups sugar 
1/8 teaspoon pink paste food coloring 
 3 eggs 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 
 1/4 teaspoon salt 
 1 cup buttermilk  

In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and food coloring until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk beating well after each addition. 
Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.


No comments: