Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sugar & Spice + Icing = makes everything nice!


Recently my boyfriend and I celebrated our two year anniversary. Although he was taking me out to be wined and dined at a fancy French restaurant, I wanted to bake him something special.
Coconut cupcakes are one of his favorite treats, but I just didn’t see us getting through a batch of cupcakes between the two of us at the house...and worse what if he were to get sick of his favorite sweet?!
Instead I baked him another version of the classic (and his favorite cookie) oatmeal raisin cookie! I have baked him oatmeal raisin cookies quite a few times. At times I use the recipe underneath the lid of the Quaker oats box, other times my mother’s recipe for her oatmeal crisps. This time around I thought I’d switch it up and make a completely different recipe. (I never knew there were so many various ways to bake oatmeal raisin cookies!)
I came across this recipe stalking one of my various food blogs…I think it is obvious what attracted me to this ORC recipe…the maple icing drizzled on top perhaps?!

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
From  Martha Stewart Living 
Makes about 5 dozen (or about 2 dozen if you’re using a jumbo cookie scoop like I do)

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together oats, flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Put butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla.

Reduce speed to low. Add oat mixture; mix until just combined. Mix in raisins.
Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart.

Bake until golden and just set, about 14 minutes. They should still seem slightly soft. Let cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks using a spatula; let cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.

Maple Syrup Icing

1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Whisk confectioners' sugar, syrup, and 3 tablespoons water until smooth. Drizzle over cookies, let set. (Note: if your icing seems too thin for your liking, you can always add more powdered sugar until it’s the right consistency)

No comments: